Sunday, January 07, 2007

The Tragedy of the Human Condition …

Surah Fatiha (“The Opening”), the first surah of the Holy Qur’an, can be thought of as an introduction or preface to the Qur’an. It is also the best summary of the Holy Qur’an. Because of its ubiquitous use in various prayers, a practicing Muslim will typically recite this surah about one million times in his or her lifetime. It is a must-read for all people, regardless of their faith:



بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمنِ الرَّحِيمِِ
In the name of God, the Beneficent, the Merciful

الْحَمْدُ للّهِ رَبِّ الْعَالَمِينَ
Praise be to God, Lord of the Worlds

الرَّحْمـنِ الرَّحِيمِ
The Beneficent, the Merciful

مَالِكِ يَوْمِ الدِّينِ
Master of the Day of Judgment

إِيَّاكَ نَعْبُدُ وإِيَّاكَ نَسْتَعِينُ
You [alone] we worship; and You [alone] we ask for help

اهدِنَــــا الصِّرَاطَ المُستَقِيمَ
Show us the straight path

صِرَاطَ الَّذِينَ أَنعَمتَ عَلَيهِمْ غَيرِ المَغضُوبِ عَلَيهِمْ وَلاَ الضَّالِّينَ
The path of those whom You have favored; not the [path] of those who earn Your anger nor of those who go astray


Surah Fatiha contains a vast store of knowledge, wisdom, and understanding. But my thoughts get concentrated on its most poignant verse, the last one:


صِرَاطَ الَّذِينَ أَنعَمتَ عَلَيهِمْ غَيرِ المَغضُوبِ عَلَيهِمْ وَلاَ الضَّالِّينَ
The path of those whom You have favored; not the [path] of those who earn Your anger nor of those who go astray


It means that there are three categories of people:

1. Those who have earned God’s favor
2. Those who have earned God’s disfavor
3. The lost souls

I look around myself in this world of six billion souls and I see people belonging to the latter two categories. Then I take a telescope and manage to see a few men and women - just a few - who belong to the first category. Then I take a mirror and I see myself. I stand rooted to the spot, thunderstruck by the reflection that stares back at me. I am horrified. Stupefied. And finally disgusted. I turn away from the mirror. The world inside me is a reflection of the world outside me.

Man has lived in vain.

2 comments:

Fayyaz Khan said...

Wa alaykum us salaam ...

Thanks for dropping by, and thanks for the compliment.

I think that our perception of everything around us is based on our preconceived notions that stem from within us. Some people will look at the Heavens and say that we are a chance creation in a lonely universe, but some will say, "O God! You have created all this in truth".

Aameen to your prayers.

sorazmikk said...

I come to this blog from time to time to see if you have posted anything new. But whenever I come ,I read this post and indeed you have truly expressed the tragedy of human condition.......man has indeed lived in vain